This is it! The plan for the next year:
I have always had an expectation that by the time I turned 30 I’d have my life together. Although my life is arguably pretty together now, I am not living as in tune with my values and passions as I would like to be. So I made an action plan.
In no particular order:
1) Take a Course
- Why? To continue learning and find new interests, inspiration, and to stay mentally sharp.
2) Grow my Yoga Practice
- Why? Yoga makes me happy, and makes every other part of my life better.
3) Create a Me Space.
- Why? As a creative introvert I need a space just for me, where I can feel safe and comfortable during creative/brainstorming time and where I can let ideas develop without having to clean, be interrupted, or feel like I am in the way.
- Why? This is a habit that I have slipped in and out of through my life, but it’s always been better when I was in the habit. Moving and being outside are good for my mind and body. It helps me manage stress, stay healthy, and be ready for unexpected adventures!
- Why? Journaling can be cathartic, and work as a brain detox. It can also be inspiring and new ideas can pop up and surprise me. A journal is a safe place for emotional release when I don’t feel like sharing with other but need to let something go, or let it grow.
6) Healthy Diet
- Why? I’ve got one life to live and I want it to be long, happy, healthy and fun! When I eat healthy whole foods I have more energy to do the things I enjoy, I sleep better, and I am happier.
- Why? It’s super fun, outdoors, great exercise, and I can go by myself, with my dogs, with my family or friends, and spend time in the mountains. Finally it’s good for the soul; much like walking and yoga.
8) Conscientious Spending
- Why? To make sure the money I spend is contributing to a higher quality of life, to step back from a consumer mentality, and to be prepared for opportunities for growth and change when they come my way.
9) Read ‘Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking’
- Why? Gain a deeper level of understanding of my behaviour and personality, and that of others.
10) Read More
- Why? I enjoy it! It helps me recharge and fuels my imagination, and it makes people smarter.
11) Take Charge of my Career
- Why? If I am going to spend 40+ hours a week doing something, then I ought to enjoy my time and feel like I am accomplishing something worth while rather than aimlessly going with the flow.
12) Write a Business Plan
- Why? I love entrepreneurship. I have a degree in entrepreneurship. I am not practicing entrepreneurship and my skills are getting rusty. I want to sharpen them up.
13) Wine & Writing
- Why? I love wine. I love writing. I should enjoy more of both. Why not write about wine? Worst case scenario: I do some terrible writing, have a laugh, and enjoy some wine.
14) Grow Orchids
- Why? Honestly, when my Grandad passed away and I travelled to his service, there was the most stunning blue orchid on my Gran’s table. Orchids remind me of my Grandad now and they take a bit of finesse to grow. This is a little project in his memory: developing the art of letting something blossom with a light touch.
15) DIY Skincare Products
- Why? There are some pretty scary things in a lot of commercial products. I also like the satisfaction of creating something useful, economical, and healthy.
16) Plan a Trip: Canada
- Why? My country is amazing. I love it and I want to see more of it.
17) Plan a Trip- Overseas
- Why? Our world is amazing and I want to see more of it too! I love to travel and it has been 10 years since I went on a big trip. It’s time to prepare for another one.
18) Go on a Yoga Retreat
- Why? Take a big step in growing my yoga practice, learn something new about yoga and myself, recharge, and focus on self growth.
- Why? Life isn’t just about me; it’s about our local and global community. Sometimes donating time is more helpful than money. Exchange positive energy, network and meet new people, do good because you can, and karma.
20) Use My Health Benefits
- Why? I pay for them, so it makes sense to use them. It will contribute to a healthy lifestyle and sound financial practices.
- Why? It will make life much easier during tax time, or any emergencies that may arise. Organization is sexy! Yes I stole that from the IKEA ads and yes, I will admit that this one sounds pretty lame. It’s one of those constant nagging things I ‘should’ do and never do. I am looking forward to the relief of getting this one checked off!
22) Build an Evacuation Box
- Why? You never know- be prepared! This includes supplies and an action plan for all the humans and critter in my household.
- Why? Do more of what you love! This is another hobby that fell by the wayside as the pressure of being an adult built up. What’s the point of being an adult if I can’t do what I like now and then? I’ve got myself a fancy new camera and I am going to learn how to use it.
24) Organize Utility Room and Outdoor Gear
- Why? Organization is Sexy! That line never gets old. This will make it easier to find my gear and go use it, so in a round about way this contributes to time in the mountains, in nature, hiking, snowshoeing, camping, photographing and adventuring.
25) New Ski Gear
- Why? I love skiing and I want to do more of what I love. Although this might just be new-to-me gear I’ll be looking to upgrade from the 15 year old equipment I have now. If you’re paying attention you’ll realize I’ve had this gear since high school. Time to step it up!
27) Surfing/Paddle Boarding
- Why? It’s badass, active, and outdoors.
28) Dog Sledding
- Why? See number 27. Also I love dogs.
29) Portraits of Trinity, Barkley, and Bandit
- Why? Trinity is my horse and Barkley and Bandit are my dogs. I love them dearly and they bring a lot of joy to my life. I want to hone my photography skills to capture the essence of each of these creatures.
- Why? To document this wild ride!